The December 2022 straw vote to determine if we want the opportunity to vote on a referendum to incorporate and create our own town resulted in an overwhelming 87.1 percent YES, WE DO!
Turnout for the straw vote was 41.4 percent, well above recent county-wide elections on local issues. By comparison, turnout in March 2022 for local issues including the one-cent school board tax and single-member districts was 28.95 percent.
Thank You Siesta Key Voters!!
After a successful 3-1 vote among our local legislative delegation in January, we now have House Bill 923 sponsored by State Rep. Fiona McFarland that will be heard in Tallahassee during the 60-day Legislative Session (March 7 through May 5, 2023).
Congratulations and thanks to all for your hard work!
- A straw vote is an unofficial ballot conducted to gauge support of a future referendum
- This straw vote will determine whether a majority of registered voters in unincorporated Siesta Key want an official referendum on incorporation to create the Town of Siesta Key
- All registered Siesta Key voters will receive a ballot the week of November 14th
- You will receive a straw vote ballot, a pre-paid return envelope, and instructions for returning your ballot
- This straw vote ballot will read just like the future referendum: “Shall the town of Siesta Key be created, and its charter adopted?”
- This straw vote is extremely important to show legislators Siesta Key is serious about having the right to vote on creating a town in 2023